Elder Sexual Abuse Attorney in Green Bay, Wisconsin
Elderly adults who are prone to financial, emotional, and physical abuse are also in danger of being sexually abused. Elder sexual abuse can be a complex issue due to social norms against sexual interactions. It often takes place behind closed doors, and a significant number of victims choose not to report the incident. It is also common for people to disbelieve elderly victims of sexual abuse when they come forward with their stories but not a Green Bay elder sexual abuse attorney.
When it comes to charges of sexual abuse against the elderly in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Gage-Michaels Law Firm believes the sexual assault allegations and takes the side of the victim. We know from experience that sexual abuse of elderly person occur in nursing homes, assisted living facility, and in the community. And we fight to help the victims of abuse. We act immediately to safeguard the elderly person and then ensure that the perpetrators of the abuse pay for whatever damages they may have caused.
If you are interested to know more about how an elder abuse attorney can help you achieve justice and damages claims, reach out to us today!
Why do I need an Elder Sexual Abuse Lawyer in Wisconsin?
The realization that an elder person you care about may be a victim of sexual abuse can be a real shock. But you don’t have to confront this all by yourself. The presence of a Green Bay elder sexual abuse attorney may serve as a source of reassurance. In addition, hiring an attorney can provide you with the peace of mind you need as they pursue real and tangible justice to hold the perpetrators of your loved one’s abuse accountable for their actions.
When abuse occurs in an elderly care facility, multiple parties may be held accountable. Gage-Michaels Law Firm, an elder sexual abuse law firm in Green Bay, WI, will assist you in identifying the responsible parties and pursuing compensation claims. As your lawyer, we will:
- Discuss the sexual assault allegations with you and, if possible, your loved one, and have these accounts documented on a permanent, official record.
- File your case immediately in court to ensure that justice is served as soon as possible.
- Interview any employees who are made available to look for admissions of abuse and conduct our own investigation to strengthen your case.
- Refer you to a third-party medical professional who can properly evaluate your loved one for signs of abuse.
- Contact the nursing home’s counsel to find out what steps they are taking to investigate the sexual assault allegations and whether they are offering any kind of settlement.
- Examine the records of employees who may have abused your loved one for any red flags that may indicate negligence.
- Take care of your case from beginning to end.
- Make sure you receive just and fair compensation
- Defend your and your loved ones’ rights throughout the legal process.
If you believe your family member is a victim of elder sexual harassment, act right away. Any signs of sexual abuse should be taken seriously. And the sooner you contact us, the sooner we can begin working on your case. Speak to us now!
What is Elder Sexual Abuse?
Sexual abuse is defined as any form of nonconsenting sexual contact and is thought to be one of the most hidden and least recognized forms of elder abuse or elder mistreatment. It is any type of sexual contact with a person who is unable to give consent.
Some types of elder sexual abuse include:
- Unwanted touching
- Sexual assault
- Sexual battery
- Coerced nudity
- Sexually explicit photographing
- Rape and molestation
Abusers prey on older persons because they believe they are vulnerable and easy targets. They also abuse the elderly because they believe that if they abuse senior citizens who are isolated from family or easily confused, they will not be punished. Although elder sexual abuse can happen anywhere, nursing home abuse is the most common.
Some of the common risk factors for elder sexual abuse include social isolation from family and others, neglect from caregivers and family members, and physical disability.
Signs of Sexual Abuse against the Elderly
Despite the fact that sexual abuse is an assault crime for which no one but the perpetrator is to blame, it is often difficult for sexual harassment victims to come forward. This is especially true for older adults, who may have more conservative ideas of sexuality and experience shame or self-blame, or for those who are unable to speak out on their own behalf.
Friends and family of elderly nursing home residents and other seniors should be aware of potential indicators of sexual harassment. The following are warning signs of elder sexual abuse:
Physical indicators of sexual abuse
- Bruising in the genital area, the breasts/chest, the inner thighs, the abdomen, the outer arms, and the mouth
- Biting marks
- Walking or sitting difficulties
- Underwear, bedclothes, or bedding that is torn, stained, or bloodied
- HIV or an unexplained sexually transmitted disease
Behavioral indicators of sexual abuse
- Sudden shifts in mood or temperament
- Sudden alterations in sleeping habits
- Abrupt alterations in personal hygiene Abrupt rises in alcohol or drug consumption
- Reluctance to engage in physical touch, such as a hug
- Refusing specific types of treatment, like bathing help
- Regressive behaviors (becoming withdrawn, less active, or less verbal)
- Becoming scared or nervous in the presence of specific individuals.
- Attempting to escape or pleading to leave the nursing home, assisted living facility, or other institution
- Exceptionally aggressive sexual conduct
An elderly sexual harassment victim may also suddenly start talking about dating or inquire about being attractive or pregnant or about having a sexually transmitted disease. Meanwhile, a potential offender may exhibit inappropriate affection or romantic behavior toward the victim of abuse.
You know your loved one, and you may be able to detect when something is wrong. If you suspect that your loved one is being sexually abused, you should look into it further. If you notice any of these signs, immediately seek legal services from an elder sexual abuse lawyer in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Proving Elder Sexual Abuse in Green Bay
In sexual abuse cases, three types of evidence are required:
- Proof that the incident occurred
- Proof that the victim did not or cannot give explicit permission
- Proof of the damages caused by the abuse
When filing your case, you may present the following types of evidence:
- Photographs of wounds (bruises, grip marks, bleeding)
- A medical examination report that shows indications of sexual assault, like
- DNA evidence
- Police reports
- Incident reports
- Witness testimony
- Eyewitness stories from nursing home staff, visitors, family members, and other residents
- If applicable, documentation demonstrating the alleged victim’s cognitive impairment
- Voice recordings or surveillance footage demonstrating evidence of threats, manipulation, or sexual actions
- Sexually explicit photographs or videos published or possessed by the offender
PROTECT YOUR LOVED ONES
Abuse and neglect are never okay. Get the protection you need to keep your loved ones comfortable and safe.
Green Bay Elder Sexual Abuse Compensation Claims
Should you or a family member prevail in this elder sexual abuse case in Green Bay, you or they may be eligible to receive compensation for the following costs and expenses:
- Abuse-related hospital and medical bills
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental or psychosocial harm
- Therapy sessions
- Diminished quality of or enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages
The best way to ensure to obtain the just compensation you or your family deserves is by speaking with a Wisconsin elder sexual abuse lawyer about the details of the harassment.
Statute of Limitations for Green Bay Elder Sexual Abuse
Statutes of limitations are the time limits within which plaintiffs must file their claims or forfeit their right to seek compensation. In Green Bay, Wisconsin, elder sexual abuse claims must be filed within two years of the incident or from when it should have reasonably been discovered. You can no longer file a lawsuit to seek legal compensation or hold the perpetrator accountable after the statute of limitations has expired.
If you choose an elder sexual abuse attorney in Green Bay, WI, who is both aggressive and compassionate, you won’t have to worry about legal work or meeting filing deadlines. You can have peace of mind knowing that an experienced elder law firm is handling your case while you concentrate on the healing and health of your loved one.
What to Do if You Suspect Elder Sexual Abuse in Green Bay, WI
If you suspect your elderly loved one is being sexually abused, you should take the following steps:
- First and foremost, if your intuition tells you something is wrong, go with it. It’s always better to be safe than sorry, and you never want to look back and realize you didn’t do enough to protect someone you care about from elder sexual abuse.
- Keep the evidence if you suspect abuse of an older family member. This means that you should not bathe, change the senior’s clothing, or change the sheets until you can preserve any potential evidence of an assault.
- If you must place your loved one in a Green Bay nursing home or assisted living facility, make sure to check the staffing ratio-the better staffed the facility, the less likely sexual misconduct will occur, as elder sexual abuse is most likely an opportunity crime.
- If you can get your loved one in a quiet place away from the caretaker, try to have a quiet conversation with them about potential abuse. If Green Bay elder sexual abuse has occurred, they may be afraid or embarrassed to report it.
- Contact law enforcement and report the abuse if the situation warrants it.
- Contact an experienced Green Bay elder sexual abuse lawyer who can answer any questions you have about who to report, how to protect your loved one in the future, and what are your legal rights and options.
Call our Experienced Green Bay Elder Sexual Abuse Attorney Now!
Proving liability in an elder sexual abuse case can be difficult. Victims are frequently unable or unwilling to demonstrate how they have been harmed, and the trusted party committing the abuse may have the resources to put up a strong defense.
No matter how difficult the challenge, the elder law office of Gage-Michaels Law Firm will use its years of experience to make a case for liability. We can help you obtain evidence, find witnesses, build a strong case, and seek justice and monetary damages on behalf of your loved ones.
Sexual assault is perhaps the most heinous form of elderly abuse, and it is something that our Green Bay elder sexual abuse lawyers are skilled to fight. Contact Gage-Michaels Law Firm right away to make sure it doesn’t happen again!